Analyzing the effectiveness of your email marketing campaigns is crucial to making good decisions that have a positive impact on your business's bottom line.
A/B test your marketing emails
Sending one standard email to all your subscribers will not resonate well with all of them. As some audiences like bright catchy emails whereas some prefer minimalist upto point emails. That’s why you need to test the different variables using A/B testing. A/B testing, or split testing, is a way to understand what type of email performs best with your audience by analyzing the results of email A vs. email B.
Step-by-step process for A/B testing your emails:
- Select 1 variable to test at a time, e.g., subject line, images.
- Create two versions of the same email: one with and one without the variable.
- Send those emails out simultaneously.
- Analyze your results and only keep the version that performed better.
- Test a new variable and repeat the process.
You can do A/B testing through your email service provider as most will have A/B testing built into their software.
Set email marketing KPIs (Key Performance Indicators)
The most important metrics to evaluate the effectiveness of your email marketing campaign are:
- Deliverability- the rate at which emails reach your intended subscribers’ inboxes.
- Open rate- the percentage of people that open your email once it reaches their inbox.
- Clickthrough rate (CTR)- the percentage of people that click on your CTAs or some specific links.
- Unsubscribes- the number of people who opt out of your email list once they receive an email from you.
Identify factors that have biggest impact on your KPIs
Many factors impact your KPIs and you need to figure out which will yield the biggest changes.
- Ensure that your email is regulatory compliant and doesn't end in the spam folder
- Remove inactive people from your email list
- Remove those email addresses which are hard-bounced
- Use attractive and clear language in your subject line to entice people to click on your email.
- Identify the best time and day to send your emails.
Clickthrough Rate (CTR)
- Try different CTAs, e.g., graphic versus inline copy
- Redesign your offer so it provides more value to your customers
- Ensure you aren’t promising one thing and delivering another.
- Ensure whether the emails you sent are aligned with your brand.
Use an email marketing report template
An email marketing report is where you record your results of different KPIs and take action to improve them. Here’s how you should organize your report:
- Total number of emails sent
- Number of emails delivered
- Deliverability Rate
- Bounce Rate
- Open Rate
- Clickthrough Rate
- Unsubscribe Rate
- Subject line
- Length of email body
Questions To Ask:
- How did your CTR compare to your open rate?
- Did a certain subject line perform better than others?
- Does the length of email make a difference in CTR?
Read our other articles in our Series on Email Marketing:
- Top Reasons Successful Businesses Use Email Marketing
- How to Create an Email Marketing Strategy
- How to Build Your Email List
- Using Social Media to Grow Your Email List
- How to Send Marketing Emails the Right Way
- 7 Ways to Segment Your Email Marketing List
Lucent Innovation is a full-service Shopify web design and development company. We build ecommerce websites that are ready to sell, scale, and grow.
Contact us for your next project: